An FFP3 face mask is an item of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) used to protect the wearer from tiny airborne particles that may contain potentially harmful viruses.
FFP3 face masks should always be FIT tested before being worn in practice. A poorly fitted face mask can put the wearer at risk.
Our FFP3 Face Masks
Our FFP3 face masks are designed to be worn for longer periods with less discomfort to the wearer. We have five variations of FFP3 valved face masks, each with cushion-fit lining. Four variations have an exhalation valve. The valve offers additional comfort for the wearer, allowing the wearers breathe to escape the mask, helping to keep moisture down.
Your employer is responsible for training and testing
If you are required to wear PPE as part of health and safety protocol in your job, your employer should offer you training to correctly fit your PPE and also carry out FIT testing to ensure the PPE that you are wearing is offering you the protection you need.
FIT testing should be carried out every two years or sooner if there is a change to the specific mask you are wearing or a physical change to you, such as weight loss or gain, facial or dental surgery or general ageing. You can request FIT testing if feel there may have been a change that could impact the effectiveness of your PPE.
You should never wear an FFP3 face mask in practice that is not FIT tested and approved for you.
How to fit our FFP3 Face Masks
We can only offer you guidance on how to fit (don) one of our FFP3 face masks.
- Remove your FFP3 face mask from the packaging by holding just around the edges.
- Hold your face mask in position over your nose and mouth.
- Pull lower strap of the FFP3 face mask over your head and fit around your lower neck.
- Pull the upper strap over your head and position on the back of your head just above your ears.
- Gently position the mask so that it covers under your chin.
- Adjust the upper and lower straps at either side of the face mask to ensure a secure fit and seal.
- Lightly pinch the stiff strip around your nose so that it moulds closely to your nose bridge.
- Once in place, avoid touching the face mask.
How to personally check the fit of your FFP3 face mask
FFP3 face masks are supplied valved or non-valved.
If you have a valved FFP3: cup your hand over the mask and inhale sharply. If you have a non-valved FFP3 face mask; cup your hand over the mask and do a strong exhale of breath.
You should feel no pressure inside the mask when doing these tests. If air flows into the mask, reposition the mask around your nose and adjust the straps before testing again.
Our FFP3 face masks are designed for single use. Once used, please dispose of your used face mask in a clinical waste bin.
For more information on our face masks and other items of PPE, download our protect catalogue here.
If you would like any additional information on any products in our PPEGet in touch